Does the holiday season put you in constant overdrive and are you feeling overwhelmed? It’s a fun and crazy time of year. Catalog shopping is fun, quick, easy and painless. You can talk to relatives over the phone as you browse an on-line store. You can each pick out the item of your choice. How easy is that?
The tough one is the family member or friend that says, “I don’t know what I want?” I found that to be difficult until I realized you can give that person anything you want. A Gift Certificate to a local grocery store – nearly everyone wants that these days. The most exciting gift of all, however, is a handmade gift whether you made it yourself or some one local made it.
The best options for feel good gift giving…
- Buy local and support an artist close to home
- Gift Certificates: Local Winter Farmers’ Market or grocery store
- A gift certificate to Adult Community Education classes
- Draw, paint, knit or sew a gift.
- Buy a gift from Island Grown Initiative.
- Make them dinner some night.
- Mix them a CD of your favorite music.
- Make wreaths or ornaments.
- Write them a poem…
- The Island Card for discounts – a must have for every island residents. Our Island Club.
- Handmade Hat from SBS, locally spun yarn from island sheep, hand knit by islander.
- Paintings from any of our fantastic artists. Now showing at W. Tisbury Library is Billy Hoff.
- New Compilation CD from Joe Keenan arriving soon!
- Island made jewelry from Jen Jen Jewelry
- Handmade African jewelry, dolls. Women Waging Peace.
- Locally made Fuzzy Blue Blanket – an herbaceous floral reminiscent of Martha’s Vineyard summers.
- Local Artisans have shops on Spring St. and Main St. Vineyard Haven.
What locally made gifts would you like us to know about?